Table of Contents
California Vehicle Bill of Sale Form is an important document for recording a sale of a new or used motor vehicle in California State. An individual seller or a car dealer can prepare and issue such bill of sale to the buyer. However, a buyer may require REG 262 in addition to this form REG 135. REG 262 form comprises odometer disclosure, power of attorney, and a bill of sale as well.
You as a buyer need a duly prepared and signed bill of sale for reasons like
- To record a mutually agreed sale of a vehicle
- To establish a legal proof of your ownership of the vehicle
- It serves as a receipt for the payment made to the seller
- To help DMV in computing the vehicle licensing fee
However, you must ensure that the seller provides following information in form REG 135.
- Name of the seller and the buyer
- Description of the motor vehicle
- Sale amount and date
Please remember that DMV, California does not mandate preparing a bill of sale for transfer of the title. However, it is always necessary to document a financial transaction. In addition, you may receive the vehicle as a gift. In that case, mention the value of the vehicle and the relation of the person gifting you the car in this bill of sale.
How To Write: California Vehicle Bill of Sale Form
Download the form, enter information, verify, and print this REG 135 in duplicate. Then hand over a copy to the buyer and retain the copy with you for record. Moreover, follow these steps to begin preparing the bill of sale.
- Enter vehicle identification number or VIN
- Then specify the year of manufacturing and the model of the vehicle
- Continue by entering the make of the vehicle
- Specify license plate or CF number
- Then write the engine number in case of a motorcycle
- Enter seller’s print name
- Then enter buyer’s print name
- Enter date of sale
- Write sale value in the next box
- Specify the relationship and write gift value in case you are presenting the vehicle to someone close
- The seller must enter print name, date, and sign the form; then enter seller’s address
- Continue by entering buyer’s print name and address
Free California Vehicle Bill of Sale Form - PDF Download
California Vehicle Bill of Sale Form is an important instrument to record a sale, establish the ownership of the buyer, and serves as a receipt for the payment made to the seller. In addition, you as a seller need to prepare this form in duplicate and hand over a duly signed copy to the buyer. The seller may use this form while presenting the vehicle to someone close. However, specify relation and gift value on this form in that case.