Table of Contents
This California Residential Rental Agreement Form is intended for renting a room in a shared housing situation in the County of Santa Cruz. In this agreement, the term “landlord” will refer to either the owner or the principal tenant.
Terminating the Lease
This is a month-to-month agreement and can be terminated with 30 days notice from either the landlord or the tenant. In no case can the notice be less than seven days under California Civil Code, section 1946.
Rent and Utility Bills
The tenant agrees to pay rent. The landlord and the tenant agree about utility bills.
The landlord and the tenant agree upon household rules and conflict mediation.
The landlord can enter the tenant’s room in an emergency or if it has been abandoned. The landlord must otherwise give 24 hours notice before entering under California Civil Code, section 1954.
The landlord or the landlord and the the tenant will fill out the Rental Property Checklist. The tenant is advised of the sex offenders’ registry under California Penal Code 290.4. The tenant acknowledges receipt of information about lead paint.
The tenant agrees to pay the last month’s rent in advance plus a security deposit and a deposit towards utilities and other bills. The landlord and tenant agree about repayment of the utility deposit. The landlord must return or account for the security deposit after the tenant vacates under California Civil Code, section 1950.5. The County of Santa Cruz requires that interest be paid on the security deposit and last month’s rent.
How To Fill
- Enter the address.
- Enter the landlord’s name.
- Enter the tenant’s name.
- Enter the rent amount, due date, and to whom the rent will be paid.
- Enter information about utility bills and payment.
- Enter information about household rules.
- Indicate preferred method of conflict resolution.
- Enter date paid and amount of last month’s rent.
- Enter date paid and amount of security deposit.
- Enter date paid and amount of utility deposit.
- Enter repayment date for utility deposit.
- Enter other agreements or provisions, if any.
- Enter information about Rental Property Checklist.
- The tenant acknowledges receiving information about lead paint.
- Enter the date.
- The landlord prints his or her name and signs the form.
- The tenant prints his or her name and signs the form.
California law and the County of Santa Cruz do not require that a rental agreement be witnessed, notarized, filed, or registered. It is valid upon execution. Both the landlord and the tenant should keep a copy of the rental agreement in a safe place.
Free Santa Cruz County,California Room Rental Agreement - PDF Download
California Law Codes
- California Civil Codes: 1946, 1950.5, 1954
- California Penal Code: 290.4